1.07.2012

2012 Resolution: Week 1

So, this first week of my resolution has been interesting.

It started with two days of a detox/cleanse, a.k.a. two days of hell/horror. Okay, it really wasn't that bad :) I thought it would be a good plan to trick myself into my 1200 calorie diet by detoxing right before. The idea behind this is that I'd be so sick of eating virtually nothing that I'd be EXCITED about 1200 calories. Guess what? It worked. By the end of detox day two (after 48 hours of nothing but mostly quinoa and vegetables), I was over the moon at the prospect of Wednesday's 1200 calorie menu. Coffee! Apples! Soup! Happiness all around.

The next four days were mostly painless. There was a slight low blood sugar issue on Wednesday, quickly solved when I realized I hadn't eaten any protein, but otherwise everything went well. The hardest part about this diet so far is not eating after 7 p.m. I find myself rushing to get dinner made by then, and if I'm still awake at 9, my mouth thinks it wants something sweet. So instead, I drink tea...and last night, I tried chewing gum. That worked well - my mouth was busy engaging with a delicious piece of Trident Layers Cherry-Lime. Perfect solution.

There have been a few nice surprises this week, too. First, I've discovered a really cool cookbook by Rocco DiSpirito. It's filled with all kinds of delicious recipes, all with low calorie counts - and, hooray - WeightWatchers point totals, too! Makes things much easier.

Ellie's Balsamic Chicken
Chicken Enchiladas
Another surprise was the high success rate of the two dinners I prepared for Morgan. They were scrumptious - and both under 350 calories and 8 WW points each. And while Morgan is almost always a good sport about diet food, it's a real bonus if he actually likes the meal and offers to eat it again. Click on these links to get to these recipes: Ellie Krieger's Balsamic Chicken + Spinach and Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde.

One final surprise - I lost four pounds this week! This is a quick drop, but it's not surprising; I think the detox probably had something to do with it. Regardless, losing is winning!

Looking forward to the upcoming week, as it marks the beginning of my exercise plan. I think this will be more of a challenge than the dieting...mostly because I don't love working out. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment